Connecticut Governor Lamont issued a statement Friday evening following the reports of the first confirmed case of coronavirus in Connecticut.
The person, who tested positive, is reported to be an employee of Danbury and Norwalk hospitals and is a Westchester County, New York resident.
““This afternoon we learned that patients and staff at both Danbury and Norwalk Hospitals may have been exposed to COVID-19 coronavirus disease as a result of a hospital employee who lives in Westchester County, New York and has tested positive for the virus. This individual was exposed to the virus while in their home community of Westchester County by another individual who has tested positive, and then the individual worked shifts at both hospitals. The hospital employee is currently at their home, where they are in isolation and recovering,” said Gov. Lamont.
The governor went on to urge everyone to remain calm and point out that health officials have been expecting the outbreak to reach Connecticut sooner or later. “This is no cause for panic or anxiety as our public health officials and medical experts have been making every effort to put every precaution possible in place,” said Gov. Lamont.
He also reported that as of Friday evening, the Connecticut Department of Public Health lab has tested 42 patients and none came back positive, with 11 still in line to be tested. No Connecticut residents had tested positive so far.
“People in our state should continue adhering to the basic but important steps we’ve been emphasizing for weeks to protect themselves, like washing your hands frequently, avoid shaking hands, avoid close contact with people who are sick, and stay home when you are sick,” reminded Governor Lamont. “I am confident in Connecticut’s healthcare system and medical professionals. We are continuing to monitor this situation and will provide additional information to the residents of our state as it becomes available.”